Saturday, June 16, 2007

The White Queen

Every spring we make a point of a special trip to town to grab an ice cream cone at "My Aunt's Place" and hang out playing chess at the giant outdoor chess set next door. Sophie, Noah and Erin are all capable chess players. Fiona isn't quite there yet, but she likes to be involved. Today the older kids gave her the job of being the White Queen.

Here she is on the h7 square. She wiggles and jumps and giggles just like a real queen should, all without leaving her square (much). Periodically she can be heard to say "I want to kill something. Can I kill that knight?"

There's a lot to be said for a community where people who own vacant lots do things like this with them, just because they think they're worth doing. This lot is on main street, across from the post office. Smack dab in the middle of a 'downtown' comprised of a dozen or so small businesses interspersed with private homes, gradually sloping towards the lake. It's a great place to hang out and wave at people going in and out of the post office.

Look what I got myself. A real live teenager. I took this photo today as she examined the chess board for a move. Isn't she beautiful? She's an amazing soccer defenceman, plays music like an angel, gets along with her family and actually cleaned her bedroom this week. I think I'll keep her.

3 comments:

  1. She is BEAUTIFUL!!!

    And what a neat thing to have in your community--a Chess Set like that!!! Very generous of the landowners and so very selfless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, she sure is beautiful ;o)
    I am learning to play chess as an adult as it was never played in my family. This is good for my kids who are at my level lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty!

    The chess is really neat, my kids would love that.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.